Invent a Language, Invent a World!
The Linguistics Department (College of Information) at the University of North Texas is excited to offer two new summer camps for your middle or high school student:
Language Explorer Camp - UNT Denton campus: July 9th - 13th
Language Explorer Camp - UNT Frisco campus: July 23rd - 27th
These 2-week summer camps will provide an overview of language science through hands-on activities, engaging guest speakers, interactive field trips, and fun capstone projects. Students will explore the wonders of languages and cultures around the world, create dictionaries and phrasebooks of invented languages in pop culture, conduct fieldwork on American English dialects, and use acoustic software to analyze speech. Students will also have the full university experience, with access to UNT’s exceptional libraries and facilities. Transferable knowledge and skills include: geography, history, the physics of sound, data collection methods, and problem-solving skills.
Summer Camp Week 1: Real and SciFi Languages
UNT Denton Campus: July 9 - 13
Frisco Campus: July 23 - 27
• Travel the world!
• Hear and learn about languages and speakers the world over.
• Try out the sounds, learn short phrases and how to write in different scripts.
• Guest lectures by UNT faculty and international students.
• Learn about Invented Languages like Elvish and Yoda-speak.
• Use language analysis software to create a dictionary and
phrasebook of a language you invent!
Summer Camp Week 2: Dialects and Fingerprints
UNT Denton Campus: July 16 - 20 (Not currently being offered)
Frisco Campus: July 30 - August 3 (Not currently being offered)
• Learn about dialects of American English.
• Do fieldwork on language dialects.
• Discover how you feel about people who speak like you and those that don’t
• Use acoustic software to analyze speech.
• Be a forensic linguistic to solve who said it and who done it!
- All day camp from Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- 2:15 ratio; coordinated by Department of Linguistics faculty and graduate students
- Overview of language science with engaging activities, guest speakers, tools, and projects
- All camp materials provided
- Short breaks throughout the day and snacks and lunches provided
- Located on the main UNT campus for the full university experience
- Access to campus libraries and facilities
- Field trips to the Department of Linguistics at the Discovery Park campus
Cost and registration:
Cost: $249 per week paid in full; $265 per week with 50% deposit (balance due on June 29th)
Add-ons: Early drop-off 7 - 8:45 a.m. ($20/day) and after-camp activities 4:15 - 6 p.m. ($20/day)
Registration deadline: July 2nd, 2018
To register for the summer camp, please click "Sign Up!" and complete the form. Once you click "Submit" you will be redirected to the checkout process. Payments are made via Paypal.
Note: We recommend that students register for the full 2-week camp experience; however, students may also register for just 1 week of the camp. Please indicate your preferences during registration.
Feel free to email us with any questions!